Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Griff Rhys Jones boosts Salt

How wonderful, the week after I watch his great program on Why Poetry Matters, here is Griff himself:

Griff Rhys Jones

Griff Rhys Jones says:

“Support the good work here. Don’t let Salt fall. If the recession is going to take things down, let it be motor manufacturers, let it be bad banks, let it be chains of fast food restaurants. We can lose a few of them, but we don't have enough small independent and daring publishers like Salt. I think I can be a little more forthright than Chris and say ‘Just six books’. Buy dozens why don’t you? It’s a great list. And apparently you will help the economy in many subtle ways too complicated for studious folk like us.”

Thank you, Griff!!

I am in watery London sunshine, enjoying being reunited with J and hanging out in much cooler weather. Tonight we are very privileged to be attending the Orange Prize awards ceremony, sharing oxygen with such luminaries as Marilynne Robinson, shortlisted for the Orange Prize for Fiction for her novel, Home, and Ann Weisgarber, author of the wonderful The Personal History of Rachel Dupre, shortlisted for the Orange Award for New Writers, the award that the White Road and Other Stories (or me, not sure which!) received a commendation for. It's lovely to be going and not to be anxious about winning anything, just to be purely delighting in being there. Will be putting on my posh stuff, and trying not to do anything silly at the champagne reception! Details to follow....! Link

Link

8 comments:

Tamsyn Murray said...

I read The White Road and Other Stories yesterday. It got me through a very grey day in hospital so thanks for that :-)

Enjoy Orange!

Tania Hershman said...

Oo, how lovely that my book made your hospital day a little less grey. Sorry to hear it, though, hope you're doing better today.

T x

Elizabeth Baines said...

Have a wonderful time tonight! And huge congratulations on your commendation!

Sarah Hilary said...

Have a lovely lovely time at the Orange "do", Tania!

Lauri said...

Enjoy the evening!

Sue Guiney said...

How exciting! I can't wait to hear details.

Nik Perring said...

Wishing you a lovely, lovely evening.

Nik XX

Unknown said...

You've picked a good week to be in London - no rain yet! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Salt. It's great to have a celebrity support!
x PS Enjoy Orange!