Monday, December 21, 2009

Science, science, science...mmmm

I spent a day at a physics conference last week, had a great meeting today with the head of Bristol University's experimental psychology department, which involved discussions about caffeine and optical illusions, and tomorrow I am going in to the Nanoscience and Quantum Information Centre - ooh, I just love saying it! - where my short-story-writer-in-residence position will be based, to get signed up so that I get a swipe card and can actually get into the building. So: all systems go for the preparatory phase of my position. I'm applying for an Arts Council grant and can't begin until that has been processed, so will be spending the 6 weeks or so after the holidays finding my way around, meeting people, trying to determine the structure of what I will be doing. I have a lot of ideas, and am meeting the head of the University's Centre for Public Engagement in Jan too, to see if there is something I can do there. It is not just inspiring - it's over-stimulating. I have so many ideas whirling around in my head and am dying to get the time and space to set something down on paper. I am sure it will happen soon!

In the meantime, Bristol is snow covered, which was a lovely novelty this morning and is now rather slippy and slushy. Happy holidays to you all, see you on the other side! 

7 comments:

Elisabeth said...

This all sounds so fantastic and wonderful. To be thrown into such a project and to have such opportunists to meet new people and to work. You are the fortunate one.

Sue Guiney said...

I love the way you had this idea and then went and made it happened. How exciting!

Debi said...

You know I'm hooked and can't wait to see how you interpret all this amazing stuff.

Tania Hershman said...

Elisabeth, I am immensely excited!

Sue, I still can't quite believe it's happening. Am just doing the Arts Council application form which is forcing me to structure my residency, a very good thing.

Debi does quantum... maybe I can inspire you to sneak into the physics department some time!

Group 8 said...

It sounds fantastic, T. I'm glad it worked out.

Have a lovely Christmas season and a super creative 2010.

Nuala x

Sarah Hilary said...

Just dropping by to wish you and yours a very Merry Christmas, Tania. Have a jolly time, and here's to 2010 - a whole new decade! S x

Rachel Fenton said...

2010 is set to be a bumper year for you - happy holidays - looking forward to following your adventure!