Friday, July 30, 2010

Last chance to enter the Sean O'Faolain Short Story Competition

I'm about to stop my nagging, I truly am, but I wanted to make sure you all know that the deadline for the Sean O'Faolain Short Story Competition is approaching  - and has actually been extended for 2 more days due to the Irish Bank Holiday on Monday. Now, believe me, it's not that I don't have enough entries to read, they have been coming in daily...but I really want to read yours too! Here's a bit more from Munster Lit about the comp, to entice you:
 There are just a few days left to enter the Sean O'Faolain Short Story Competition. Date by date, we are ahead this year on last year in the number of entries we have received, but in deference to the fact that you have entered the competition before, you will be allowed a late email entry this year. Monday is a bank holiday in Ireland so we won't be able to  start wrapping up processing email entries until Tuesday August 3rd. You have until midnight August 2nd Alaska time (or before we get into the office Tuesday morning Irish time) to enter. The judge changes every year. Just to remind you what is at stake:
1st prize 1500 euro (US$1960 or £1250) at today's exchange rate and publication in Southword online, plus if you choose to come to Cork, Ireland to accept your prize we will provide hotel accommodation with breakfast, lunch, drinks, tapas for the five night duration of the short story festival (Wednesday September 15th to Sunday 19th. You will have VIP access to the literary stars...
2nd prize 500 euro and publication in Southword. 4 further prizes of 120 euro and publication in Southword.
Now, if you are concerned about the 3000-word limit, that you haven't got a story "long enough", let me calm your fears. 3000 words MAXIMUM and there is no minimum. Send in a story that perfectly fits its length, whether that be 200 words, 1500 words, or 2999 words (but not 3100 words, that one won't be eligible!). I have no quantity bias: grip me and I'm yours for as short or long as your story takes.
One more thing: please please check your story before you send it:
  • for spelling & grammar
  • for accidental duplication of pages
  • to make sure it's not the copy that one of your writing group members wrote their critique on (yes, that has happened!)
  • to make sure it doesn't have your name on it anywhere
So, for the last time, I say: Wow me!

No comments: