Wednesday, April 25, 2007

And now for something about me

After a pretty depressing few weeks of "no thanks" from fiction's all and sundry, I have had rather a nice few days. First, my story, Space Fright, is published in the latest issue of the Steel City Review.

Second, I received an Honorable Mention in the Abroad Writers' Conferences 2007 short story contest. I feel highly honorable to have been mentioned. (They awarded one first prize and five 2nd prizes, which seems rather original to me!)

Third... I heard today that I've been shortlisted for the People's College short story competition. The story that was shortlisted has been the bane of my life for over a year - I have written perhaps twenty different versions, changing the tense, the point of view, where the story started, where it ended, what happened in the middle. It made me crazy! Nice to know that the judge somewhat liked it - even if it doesn't get any further, this is a great affirmation.

Please remind me of all of the above when I write my next blog post whinging about rejections and why, why, why do I put myself through it. THIS is why I put myself through it. You don't get the highs without the lows, and without the lows the highs would just be floating aimlessly somewhere around waist-height.

Relativity.

Ponder that one.

8 comments:

Jan said...

You HAVE had a nice few days! Congratulations Tania.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Good news, T. Well done.

But more than that, a nod of the head to your recognition of the lows as well as the highs.

There have been far more tears than smiles along the way for me, over the last few years... I think that's why it's so good to work with people who understand and give you honest feedback, not pats on the head all the time...

fingers crossed (I'm saying this all over the place!)

v

Tania Hershman said...

Thanks to you both. And yes, I think I am finally recognising the reality that the path is not necessarily a smooth one that glides upwards, but there are hills and valleys and that is a good thing for us. Success gained without effort and adversity is just not the same.

Jan said...

Wise words from you, Tania and Vanessa.
Hills and valleys..peaks and troughs. ( pigs and troughs?)
It's how we pull ourselves up OUT of these troughs...that's the trick.
And its also about DOING the work in the 1st place and I have not been a good example of late.
. I now have 5 months free..I hope to at least find myself reaching a plateau.

Tania Hershman said...

5 months free sounds like heaven! I wish you a productive, creative time, Jan.

Unknown said...

Yayness Tania! Happy news.

hershmab said...

It is time you had a comment from the male point of view, i.e. specifically from a totally objective and unbiased father. So the answer is "yes". What is the question?

Julian Gough said...

Congratulations, Titania. I'm delighted for you. I know how tough it can be when everybody is saying no. I'm very glad they're now saying yes.

Best of luck,

-Julian