Wednesday, November 29, 2006

the joy of community

Well, more on brief moments of fame: I have enjoyed twice in the past few days being accosted in various cafes around Jerusalem by people (well, two women) who saw me in the play and wanted to tell me how much they enjoyed it. And I have to admit that I got a kick out of it. This is a small city, there aren't that many places to go, and so it's bound to happen. Then again, people could see me, think "Aha, wasn't she in that play? I really didn't enjoy that/her", and completely ignore me. So I do appreciate it when someone takes the time away from their cappucino to make me blush a little. Thank you. That's one kind of community that is very heart-warming.

Another is the community of writers. I realised that as much as I love writing this blog, I would love it even more to have other short story writers' blogs to read and for them to read mine and for us all to swap tips, condolences on rejection, congratulations on acceptance and everything else the insecure writer requires to keep her afloat. I have one great writer friend, VanessaGebbie, with whom I engage in mutual commenting, and this week I decided to look at who comments on her blogs, follow the links to theirs, make my mark there and see what comes.

Well, I was delighted to discover today (suprisingly, since for some reason blogger has stopped notifying me when someone posts a comment, bloody beta versions!) that two of the writers whose blogs I stopped into took the time to pay a return visit. Nice to meet you, B.A. GoodjohnHilaryMack. I hope this mig
and ht be the beginning of something beautiful - in an online, short story writer kind of way.

1 comment:

tafka PP said...

Well I am very glad you are being accosted- it is fully deserved and I hope it continues for weeks to come!

(And be extra thankful that when people accost you, the title of your play isn't going to engender disapproving stares/horror from all in earshot)