Thursday, November 01, 2007

The Big Day! Nanowrimo and The Short Review

I can't quite believe this day has come. I've had trouble sleeping all week. Who would have thought November 1st would be so auspicious? First, Nanowrimo kicks off today, and all those of us around the world who signed up begin our 2000-words a day towards that 50,000-word target at the end of the month. I got up this morning and didn't do any of the things I usually do. No email, no switching cell phone on. I made tea, I turned the radio to the classical channel, I started up my laptop, and for an hour, I wrote. 2051 words. And NOT a short story. I think I might just be able to do this.

Then, and only then, did I allow myself to do the other Big Thing for today: I launched my new venture, The Short Review. The website is live, it's up now, exposed to the world. What is it? It's my small attempt to redress the balance, and give short story collections the spotlight they deserve - and bringing you something good to read. The site dedicated to reviewing story collections and anthologies. Every month we'll publish original reviews, and much more. Go over there and have a look, and pop into the blog and tell me what you think. I am so excited!

There is a little downside to today. J is going away for 8 weeks, a long, long time. I'll miss him terribly. I will try and keep busy. And I've got a lovely load of friends who will look after me. I hope it will be an interesting month.

3 comments:

Anne Brooke said...

Good luck with the novel writing and well done on the new review site - great stuff!

Hugs

A
xxx

Anonymous said...

Great work. good luck with the novel writing and we'll do our best to look after you while the big J is away

xx

Quillers said...

Good luck with NaNoWriMo, Tania, from a five year veteran!