Monday, May 09, 2011

Congratulations are in order!

There's nothing greater than being able to congratulate my smart and talented friends, and there's a lot today! First, the wonderful Lauri Kubuitsile is shortlisted for the highly prestigious Caine Prize for African Writing for her short story “In the spirit of McPhineas Lata” from The Bed Book of Short Stories published by Modjaji Books! Winner announced in July, fingers crossed, Lauri!

Second - huge congratulations to Andrea Ashworth and Jon Pinnock who, along with Cassandra Parkin, are the three winners of this year's Salt Publishing Scott Prize for debut short story collections. Their collections will be published in November, the UK's National Short Story Week. Can't wait to read them!

Addendum: Third lot of congratulations, to Tom Vowler, whose collection, The Method, has been shortlisted for the Edge Hill Short Story Prize, alongside collections from Helen Simpson, Polly Samson,Graham Mort and Michele Roberts. Winner announced in July. Read my interview with Tom here.

7 comments:

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Yippee x 3!

Tania Hershman said...

Quick off the mark, MS G! Welcome home...!

Lauri said...

Wow thanks Tania, that's very nice of you. I'm still amazed I'm coming back to London already.

jonathan pinnock said...

Many thanks, Tania! Massively chuffed I am :)

Rachel Fenton said...

Congratulations all round then!

Dora Dee said...

Congratulations to all! Best wishes for continued success.

Rachna Chhabria said...

I was delighted to see that I came across another short story lover, Tania.

Regarding your previous post,your reviews are great. I am a huge fan of the short story (have written and published more than 60 short stories for children, both in newspapers and books).I always feel sad when I hear that short story collections are a hard sell and publishers are wary of publishing them.