Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Interview with Anthony Doerr

There's a lovely interview with one of my new favourite writers, Anthony Doerr, over at r.kv.r.y magazine - do check it out. A little excerpt:
I am very interested in how stories and novels can transport, and transport absolutely.  I’m very much a believer in John Gardner’s notion that fiction writers stitch together dreams, and that we don’t want to unconsciously break those dreams and wake our readers up.  So I spend lots and lots of energy trying to make my sentences as sensual and grounded and seamless as they can be.  And the best way to do that–the best way to transport a reader into another place, another life–is through moment-by-moment sensory detail: through the mouth and the nose, as Mc put it.  The path to the universal, I tell my students, is through the individual.  You reach for the stars by playing in the gravel.

Read the rest of the interview here >>

2 comments:

Indira Chandrasekhar said...

Pleased to see this alert about Anthony Doerr's interview. I love his writing, and am still keeling with pride that my story My Kitchen, My Space is in the same issue of r.kv.r.y as his.

Tania Hershman said...

Indira, congratulations, thanks so much for drawing my attention to your story, looking forward to reading it!