Wednesday, April 08, 2020

Zooming in



I have a piece today on Marina Benjamin's excellent new blog, 'Zooming In', about what I'm reading & noticing now that I'm staying so much closer to home. Here's a taster:


Barak and I had five days’ hard riding northwards since then, the roads in a bad state after that wet summer of 1541.
                     
 Since the start of the lockdown, I have read three, and just started my fourth C J Sansom novel. The quote above is taken from the third, Sovereign. They’re set in the 16th century, and they’re crime thrillers featuring his trusty lawyer, Matthew Shardlake, and, in this book and the next, Shardlake’s assistant, Jack Barak. This is not, as anyone who knows me will tell you, my usual preferred reading material. What is it about the situation we find ourselves in that has drawn me to it? ...

Read the full piece here >> 

No comments: