Saturday, May 31, 2008

Very nice news

Lovely news that I can now share with you all - I am one of three winners of the Biscuit Flash Fiction competition! When I entered I was desperately hoping I might get somewhere because the prize is a week's writing retreat in a small town in Belgium, plus 200 pounds spending money. A cash prize is always very welcome, don't get me wrong, but it's very unlikely that were they to have just given cash I would have decided to spend it on a week's writing retreat. Now I simply must go to Belgium, and I can't wait! (I think I have a year in which to go.)

Another lovely aspect to this is that I sent a very new story in which I tried a different writing technique/style from anything I had done before. It could be called "minimalist" I suppose - I was inspired by read Roy Kesey's amazing collection, All Over, for review for The Short Review. His writing is very minimalist, dispensing with names, places, making the reader do quite a lot of work. I loved reading them and I thought, well, why don't I make my reader (if there ever is one) work a little? Why don't I try not providing so much background for a change? Seems like someone liked it, at least.

Other nice news just in today: two more of my flash stories have been selected by Rethink Daily, for their short story podcast, Sharp Things. The stories will be recorded by actors and broadcast in July. It's always a wonderful experience for me to hear my stories brought to life, I am really looking forward to it. Two very different short short stories - one involving a creme egg and one a rabbi in Sainsbury's car park. That should whet your appetite!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tania, this is awesome. So happy for you! Congrats on your well-deserved win and hit. =)

J Adamthwaite said...

That's a lot of good news in one day! Congratulations... and hello - I followed your link :¬)

Jenny

Tania Hershman said...

Thanks so much Michelle, and Jenny, thanks for popping into my blog! It has been a great day.

Unknown said...

Hurrah, what splendid news. Very pleased for you Tania. It must be especially pleasing to have success after experimenting and pushing at what you can do!

:)

pierre l said...

Well done indeed to you. Looking forward to your collection from Salt as well.

Tania Hershman said...

Thanks so much Sara and Pierre, I'm looking forward to my collection, too. Will keep you updated.

slippingthroughtheworld said...

great stuff tania. looks like you're on a roll - keep it up! x

Clare said...

What fantastic news! That's what we like to hear. Well done, and make sure you really enjoy your victory.

Sarah Hilary said...

Richly deserved and how great that it was an experimental style for you! Looking forward to reading it.

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Fabulous news, T. Many congrats indeed... the comp, the retreat (lucky thing!) the publications. Wow. May it continue like this from now on!

love

V

Nik Perring said...

Cool! Well done, Tania!

N

Kerry said...

Congrats! Can't wait to have a read of it - and the retreat! You are so lucky (though I know luck has nothng to with the hard graft of writing the right story ;) )