Wednesday, September 03, 2008

And more about .... me

I am interviewed today over at WriteWords, the excellent online writers' forum whose Flash Fiction group I have been a member of for several years and which I find invaluable, both in terms of stimulation and in terms of community. Here's a taster of the interview:
I started writing fiction at the age of 6 with my first attempt, a novel about triplets, which luckily never saw the light of day! I always loved words, I devoured books even before I knew which way up to hold them. But I also loved maths and science, and growing up in England in the 1970s, my school wouldn't allow me to study arts and sciences after the age of 16, so I went towards science and studied Maths and Physics. At uni, I realised I would never, ever become a scientist, I was dreadful at experiments, so I studied for a diploma in journalism, moved to Israel and worked as a science journalist. While this did combined my two loves, there was always a niggling at the back of my mind about writing fiction. I went to some writing workshops in the US and the UK, including a wonderful Arvon Foundation course on Writing and Science, tailor-made, it seemed at the time, for me!
.....
For the rest of the interview, click here. (I think it is viewable by non-WW members..I hope so!)

And even more... here's another interview with me, at Nik's marvellous blog. Thanks so much, Nik.

7 comments:

Nik Perring said...

It's a pleasure, Tania. Really enjoyed the WW one too!

Nik

Gay Degani said...

A novel about triplets?? Me too. Abbie, Aimee, and Bruce Twellington. I'll get over to the whole interview soon. Meantime, just to let you know I got an email today from Amazon.UK saying they were having trouble getting your book and did I want to cancel. NO! Maybe a word to Salt about the problem????

Tania Hershman said...

Nik - thanks!
Gay - how funny! I am glad my triplet novel never saw the light of day. What happened to yours? Thanks so much for letting me know about Amazon, I have forwarded that to Salt with much urgency. I hope the problem will be sorted soon. Oh dear. These things I have no control over!

Nik Perring said...

"These things I have no control over" - ha ha - that's how it feels being an author! Hope they get it sorted soon, T. Things like that aren't half annoying.

N

Kat W said...

Lovely to learn more about you.Kat :-)

anthonynorth said...

Flash fiction is increasingly becoming the literature of the future, I think. It is a marvellous vehicle for the writer.

Tania Hershman said...

Nik - thanks for reinforcing my insecurity! Only kidding... not arrived yet.

KatW - thank you, and back at you too.

Anthony, thanks so much for stopping by my blog, and for being a fellow fan of flash. Do you write? I am off to check out your blog.