Sunday, April 25, 2010

Beautiful Blogger Award

It's been a while since I did one of these, so here goes. Thanks so much to Writer in the Wilderness for nominating me. OK, I am supposed to tell you 7 interesting things about me, then nominate a load more beautiful bloggers.

First, though, I have done a complete redesign of my website, TaniaHershman.com - please check it out, let me know what you think! Link opens in a new window, so you can do both...

  1. My grandfather was born in Newport, Wales. The family were fleeing from pogroms in Russia in the early years of the 20th century... and somehow ended up in Wales! It has helped me not a whit in terms of entering for "Welsh-writer-only" anthologies and comps. And I've never been to Newport. Now we're not that far, we may do a day trip. No family left there anymore. 
  2. I'm going to be 40 on my next birthday, and despite being told by a kindly hairdresser many years ago that I would never go grey but "fade to a pale blonde", I have begun spotting white hairs here and there. I quite like them. Someone told me recently that I looked 13, which I really hope isn't true, so if white hairs make me distinguished, then so be it!
  3. I have a toe ring. Is that interesting? I've worn one for years. 
  4. I have a weakness for vampires which hugely predates the current fashion, and stretches back to somewhere around when the Lost Boys film came out. I may have been 13. What was it about that film? What is it about vampires?
  5. When I was a kid and I was out with my mother, I used to make her stop while I ran ahead and then she would have to pretend to be meeting me for the first time, and I would be someone entirely different. She played along with this, sensing, perhaps, the burgeoning creativity? Or just avoiding tantrums? My pretend name was just my middle name, Caroline. Not that creative, eh?
  6. I hate mornings. Hate 'em. I feel like I don't become me until around 4pm, at least. I wish society was divided into two sectors, so I didn't feel guilty about everything I might be missing from sunrise onwards.
  7. I went to a healer/clairvoyant in Ireland a few years ago who could see spirits and she told me that "someone who looks like Albert Einstein" was watching me. I asked if it could be Albert Einstein and she said yes it could and that he finds me amusing. I have had two larged framed pictures of Albert on my wall for many years, I'm glad I might be providing him with some afterlife entertainment!

I am going to nominate some new-ish blogs I've stumbled across for this award, just to give you some ideas:

Wet Rock Writing (which really is a beautiful blog)

Mira's List

Mixed Messages

Original Impulse

AL Kennedy on Writing

David Lebovitz (food, mmm...)

Robin Black

Jacqueline Nicholls (art...)

Poetry, Science and Other Tales of Writing

Enjoy!

7 comments:

Sue Guiney said...

Love the bit about Albert Einstein and absolutely adore the new website!!

Naz said...

Honored to be nominated with all these beautiful blogs. Thank you!

I do the pretend-to-be-meeting-for-the-first-time drama with my husband. If we are meeting after work at a street-corner or something, we pretend that we have never met before.

Sarah Hilary said...

I'll be looking out for Albert Einstein over your shoulder tomorrow, Tania! And I love the game you played with your mother - I should think she loved it just as much as you did. Milly's games keep me on my toes, and are great fun.

Tania Hershman said...

Sue, thanks, I thought you might like it. As you can imagine, I was thrilled! I thought maybe Sue B-F had put her up to it, but she swears she didn't.

Shahnaz, now I remember you telling me that! Funny, maybe J and I should try it... does it have benefits??

Sarah, Albie and I are looking forward to see you, and hearing about Millie's games, I am sure they are rather more inventive than mine!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Tania - wow, thanks for mentioning my blog, that's really kind of you. I've just been flicking through the others and they look great.
I've not seen this before, do we all copy the pic to our blog and do the 7-things-thing, now?
Martha

Tania Hershman said...

Martha, yes, take the image, copy it onto your blog and do the 7 things etc.., then nominate more blogs. I only do one of these every now and then, I haven't got that much that's interesting to say!

Lauri said...

There was an oldish man in an anti-nuclear group I was in at university. He was grey haired, spoke with a lisp, wore massive black, horn-rimmed glasses. Slowly I got to know him. I found he was editor of a very lefty magazine that once got taken to court for publishing how to make a nuclear bomb to show people how easy it was to get the info (this was pre-internet).That was a bit of a surprise. He seemed very law abiding, overly so.

We became friends, my 20 year old self and his 50+ year old one. And one day he invited me to dinner. His wife greeted me at the door in an apron (!!) and I felt like I stepped back in time to the 1950s.

I stepped into their typical living room and there on one wall- the complete wall- was a huge photo of Albert Einstein- lifesize.

I love when the three dimensions of people pop like that!

(Your comment reminded me of that lovely,lovely man- thanks!)