Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Guest blog post on Tomlit

First, just to let you know, I will be publishing the Sean O'Faolain prize longlist here on my blog after the winner has been announced, in 2 weeks.

Second, I am delighted to be a guest on the Tomlit blog today, talking about trust between a writer and a reader. I wrote this post, "It's All About Trust", a few months ago, it was interesting for me to re-read it given the 849 entries I just read for the S O'F! Here's a snippet:
I don't read to relax, not in that same way. I don't read to be entertained, to watch the story unfold. I read to become engaged with the story, to have it enter me, grip me and twist my insides. I want to be changed by what I have read. If it is all there for me, laid out in front of my eyes, where is my place inside this story or novel? What is the role of my imagination if everything is handed to me on a plate?

 Read the rest of the blog post.

2 comments:

Alex said...

Thanks for writing it Tania. I loved re-reading it too.

Rachel Fenton said...

Just read the whole thing over at Tomlit and it made me very smiley!

I love those little pockets of unknown, as a reader, to fill with my own imaginings.

Lovely gesture for you to publish the list :)