Wednesday, September 15, 2010

PANK magazine and Science in My Fiction

I have a story in this month's issue of PANK magazine, Vegetable, Mineral, which was a finalist in their 1,001 Awesome Words competition last year (this year's is still open). (The same story was joint winner of the 2008 Biscuit Flash fiction comp, publication wasn't a condition of winning the comp.) I'm looking forward to reading the rest of the September issue, PANK is one of my favourite magazines, just stunning! And... you'll be able to hear me reading the story on the new audio mag 4'33 shortly.

I'm off to Birmingham today, to adjudicate, along with my science-loving writer friends Sue Guiney and Brian Clegg, the first "There's Science in My Fiction and Poetry" Open Mic night at the British Science festival. This is what it's all about:

There's Science in My Fiction... And Poetry
 7-10pm, Wed 15th Sept, The Old Joint Stock Function Room
"What if..?" ask both scientists and fiction writers. What if a gene mutates? What if she never married him? Science is fabulous inspiration for fiction - come read out your science-inspired stories and poems to win great prizes, including a Focus magazine subscription and champagne. Science-inspired authors Tania Hershman, Sue Guiney and Brian Clegg will judge. Put some science in your fiction!
More details here.
If you're in Birmingham, come along to read or just to listen! Hope to see you there.

2 comments:

Rachel Fenton said...

I can't write a PANK story for love nor money! So well done you! Twice. This had a lovely banter feel to it and left me wanting more. I still think of your Jesus Bug story lots.

Enjoy Birmingham!

Tania Hershman said...

Hi Rachel, glad you liked it - I wasn't trying to write a PANK story, I think perhaps I just fit in with their quirkiness, I love almost everything they publish. It's nice to find a magazine like that! Thanks for mentioning my "Jesus bug" flash, I'd forgotten about that...!