Friday, May 15, 2009

In Appreciation of Swiftly-Responding Lit Mag Editors!

This morning's response to my "surprise and delight me" request was the new issue of online literary magazine Elimae. Yes, I knew it was coming, but I had forgotten it was today - so it is possible to be surprised and delighted by something that you knew about, if your memory is a little faulty! I want to take a moment to appreciate Coop Renner, Elimae's editor. There is often much grumbling between us writer-bloggers about the slothfulness of magazines' responses to our submissions. Grumbling turns into gnashing of teeth when months or even a year has passed with no response at all. Why can't they just send out an email? we wail. Just to let us know if... maybe... or a direct no. How hard can it be.

Coop Renner puts them all to shame. Not only does he send personal and gentle rejections, he replies within 48 hours, often within only a few hours. I don't know what sacrifice he has made in his life in order that he can do this, but I do know that it has elevated him to mythical status in the eyes of many of us. We feel appreciated, our needs understood, even if we are rejected and rejected and rejected again. And again.

I was one of these rejectees who felt almost apologetic, sending flash story after flash story and receiving swift but polite "This doesn't quite fit" emails. I kept on sending them, and was utterly astonished when, a few weeks ago, the prompt response was actually
"Let's do this for the May issue, which should post about the 15th of the month. It's almost a poem."
Shocked, surprised and delighted. Here it is, my almost-poem, Up Far and Everywhere (thanks Nik for the inspiration). The whole issue looks wonderful, some names I know, some I look forward to getting to know.

Submit to Elimae. Vote with your feet/short stories. Thanks, Coop.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats on your very cool elimae piece. I have to echo what you say about Coop Renner. His rejections are polite, helpful, caring, and his acceptances are delightful. He is magnificent in my opinion. He has a clear vision, produces a top quality journal that is gorgeous to look at, wonderful to read, he is super speedy, and yes, puts others to shame.

Three cheers for Coop!

Tania Hershman said...

Yes, yes, yes!

Nik Perring said...

Lovely piece, lovely site. Lovely all round really! ;)

annie clarkson said...

I love this piece Tania, and in my view it IS a poem, a wonderful prose poem. This is what I love about prose poetry, the capturing of a very slight moment, an emotional moment that most people might miss because they are too busy looking for the big moments, it is revealed so beautifully.

nmj said...

Love this. It *is* almost a poem!

Vanessa Gebbie said...

Echo. I have had very helpful rejections from Coop Renner, one even suggesting another publication that might like a piece 'and if they don't take it, come back to me'.

I have yet to be acepted there. But I keep trying.

That is a beautiful piece, T. It aches, somehow.

Sarah Hilary said...

Wonderful piece, Tania. Poetry or prose, it works. Congratulations!

Tania Hershman said...

Thanks Nik!

Annie, that's a lovely definition, if that is what prose poetry is, I'm in!

NMJ, thank you!

V -he is so generous, isn't he? Keep trying!

Sarah, thanks!! Wonderful how something so tiny can bring me such pleasure.

Gay Degani said...

Lovely. lovely. Best two words for that piece.